Breaking News
The Student Newspaper of East High School

The Leopard

The Leopard

The Leopard

The Year of the Dragon: Success awaits in 2024

Power, nobility, luck, and success are all qualities that 2024, the year of the dragon, hopes to bring. The dragon is the fifth animal sign of the zodiac signs. The Chinese zodiac is a 12-year cycle. The dragon is the only legendary animal in the zodiac signs, and it also represents power, nobility, luck, and success. Throughout February, in Chinese class, Ms. Zhe Jones held some events to celebrate the year of the dragon. On February 5th, 2024, a group of East High students in the Chinese class took a field trip to a Chinatown marketplace. The field trip took place at the Chinatown Marketplace at 3390 South, State Street. Students brought their own money to buy foods from the marketplace. They went to a buffet and communicated in Chinese. The foods were bought to celebrate the Chinese New Year. They also had some worksheets that they had to fill out. The worksheet had to be filled out with information about the marketplace, a few things related to the Chinese New Year like their Chinese zodiac sign, fill out some foods that the marketplace sold. They had to select three things they found in the marketplace that they found interesting along with the price and usage. The worksheets also included phrases they could say in Chinese. When commenting on this unique experience their teacher, Jones, states, “They learn the culture, celebrate the real holidays, and have some basic understanding know how to associate with Chinese people in general.” Overall, the field trip appears to be a good way to practice and use another language, along with learning a few things about the culture such as, the Chinese New Year and information about the Chinatown marketplace.
Alongside the trip to Chinatown, the class held a school-wide Dragon Dance. Days before they held the dragon dance, the students held up a dragon and walked throughout the school and some classrooms. In the culture, people would do dragon or lion dances to celebrate the new year. On February 22nd, our own East High Dragon dance was held at the commons during both lunches. “The legend says that a monster came to kill people during the Chinese New Year and the villagers scare away the monster by lighting the firecrackers and made loud noises. The tradition carried on for many years. They always have dragon and lion dances to celebrate the Chinese New Year,” commented Jones. Just as students who take the Chinese course offered here at East learned, you too can gain a better understanding of the zodiacs animals. Hey all have meanings and they’re based on what year you were born in. Rats mean wisdom, health, and prosperity. The Ox symbolizes hard work, loyalty, and reliability. The Tiger means courageous, optimistic, and generous. Rabbits means mercy, elegance, and beauty. Dragons resembles power, nobility, luck, and success. The Snake is quick thinking and intellect but can show off. The Horse is power, beauty and freedom. Goats symbolizes peace-loving, kind, and popularity. Monkeys symbolize clever, inventive, and flexible. The Rooster is a deep thinker, capable, and talented. Dogs are honesty, frankness, and loyalty. The Pig symbolizes prosperity, good wealth, and patience. Check below to see your Chinese Zodiac sign. We wish all of you a very successful fourth quarter, Leopards.
Finish strong. We got this!